Sr. Labor & Employment Counsel
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Strong knowledge of California Labor Law/ California employment law
- Railway Labor Act experience preferred
- Experience drafting corporate position statements
- Trial experience required; mediation experience required; arbitration experience required
- Some insurance law experience preferred
- Employee benefits law experience preferred
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize, multi-task, and cope well with change.
- Talent for organization, efficiency, and proactive improvement of the status quo.
Role Purpose Statement: Employment and Litigation Counsel responsible for legal support to Human Resources (HR) and Risk Management departments, West region and various other duties as assigned by department head.
Key Interfaces: (internal, external) Internal: Regional Management Team (RMT), HR, Benefits, CSC Management, Risk Management External: Outside Counsel, governmental agencies, arbitrators, mediators, opposing counsel
Business Strategy, Policies and Tools
- Assist the General Counsel in the development of strategies, policies and procedures in the area of employee law, compliance, and litigation related issues
- Keep the General Counsel appraised of material developments and legal matters on a timely basis and exercise sound business and legal judgment to enable the General Counsel to discharge his/her duties and responsibilities as the senior legal officer of the Company
- Key strategic advisor and critical liaison to Human Resources and Risk Management and business leaders to ensure practices are aligned with ethical business practices, government regulations and other regulatory and advisory authorities.
- Draft and review employee communication, policies and procedures
- Respond to all subpoenas within area of responsibility
- Counsel with HR department on a wide variety of employment issues including general labor, EEO and other governmental requirements
- Review of contracts and other documents with an eye on to risk avoidance
- Respond to Charges of Discrimination, complaints by government entities and attorney demand letters; investigation and resolution of pre-litigation disputes
- Counsel with Risk Management on litigation against the Company a wide variety of insurance related issues
- Write vendor and customer contracts and related correspondence
- Works with other in-house and outside counsel as necessary on a variety of issued including but not limited to collections, litigation, product liability and other matters
- Manage all employee related and uninsured litigation including working directly with outside counsel, assist in discovery, financial forecasting and management , developing and driving litigation strategies,
- Oversee Company’s Compliance Committee and program directly with General Counsel
- Perform corporate maintenance and record-keeping activities for domestic entities
- Responsible for customs regulations compliance, disputes and issues.
- Analyze legal business risk and recommend business appropriate solutions
- Work closely with the workers compensation department on strategy, settlement and overall reduction of program expenses
- Develop, maintain, communicate and apply knowledge of industry best practices in legal matters; educate and train HDQ and field HR and field management in changes in law and best practices
- Handle and prioritize a high and diverse volume of contractual and other legal matters with limited to no supervision
- West Regional counsel – Lead counsel for assigned region and LSG Sky Chefs North America Solutions; Work directly with senior levels of management and effectively communicate legal issues and obtain input and decision making within tight deadlines
- Provide legal guidance on pension/401k/ medical benefit plans (ERISA)
- Legal support on real estate, facility and engineering contracts/ documents. Assist in Labor Union negotiations
- Model corporate values and participate as required in groups, initiatives and advisory bodies
- Proactively support other departments and functions as the Subject Matter Expert on Employment/ Labor law and Litigation
- Plan, implement and control litigation cost and project budget; initiate and steer corrective actions in case of deviations
- Ability to handle and prioritize a high and diverse volume of contractual and other legal matters with limited supervision; this includes self-initiation of problem identification and resolution for company’s benefit even where not specifically pre-directed by a supervisor.
- Ability to deal effectively with all employees and external business contacts while conveying a positive, service-oriented attitude.